The RA Position
Resident Advisors (RAs) are the face and voice of University Housing for the 8,400 students living on campus. RAs live with and develop positive relationships with every resident in their community. RAs role model the Mustang Way, promote a safe and comfortable living environment, develop community among their residents and staff, and are committed to every student’s personal and academic success.
To support the community, this position requires both scheduled and unscheduled responsibilities; due to the nature of this position, hours are not consistent or easily translated into a specific number per week.
Placement is determined by University Housing staff and is based on departmental and community needs, with consideration for a candidate’s skills and experiences. You will have an opportunity to share your preferences prior to placement into a specific community.
- be full-time students with a quarterly and cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- be in good standing with your academic College, University Housing Community Standards, and the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Involvement/being found responsible for a policy violation prior to applying will not necessarily disqualify an applicant.
- be available varied hours that include arriving prior to hall opening, staying past closing, including some break coverage. Hours will be scheduled and unscheduled and will include days, nights, and weekends.
We expect RAs to be:
- Inclusive - accepting and welcoming of all identities through engaging in conversations about social change and privilege
- Team Players - supporting your team through giving and receiving feedback, showing initiative and sharing responsibility and tasks.
- Adaptable- maintaining a positive attitude in the face of change.
- Critical Thinkers - the ability to make sound and informed and un-bias decisions by making reasoned judgments utilizing resources when necessary.
- Responsible - completing assigned tasks in a timely manner with minimal supervision and follow-up.
- Student Success Oriented - supporting and role modeling the holistic development of residents through oversight of their community and the connection to resources.
Other than academics, we expect the RA position to be your primary responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
RA responsibilities include:
- Community Development – Developing personal and positive relationships and helping all residents in your area become part of a single community.
- Programming – Providing social opportunities and educational experiences for residents.
- Community Safety and Policies – Providing a safe learning environment for all residents by enforcing policies and seeking help as needed.
- Administration – Paperwork, working at the front desk, and other tasks that support the operations of your building.
- Staff Development – Working as part of a large team to provide a consistently positive experience for residents.
- On-Call Coverage – Being available to respond to community emergencies while following University Housing protocols.
- Be Well
- Define: Ability to manage holistic wellbeing.
- Identify personally relevant health and safety resources.
- Utilize health and safety resources.
- Reflect on effectiveness and impact of various types of wellness strategies
- Be Smart
- Define: Ability to manage overall academic and career success.
- Identify academic and/or career resources.
- Utilize academic and/or career resources.
- Reflect on effectiveness and impact of various types of academic and/or professional strategies
- Be the Change
- Define: Ability to help make the world a better place.
- Identify unjust situations based on a person's identity.
- Intervene in unjust situations.
- Reflect on the impact that COVID-19 has on various populations and identities
In addition to the development of time-management and leadership skills, RAs are provided with a residence hall room or shared apartment and a meal plan. No portion of compensation may be redeemed for cash.
Full Position Description
The above text is a summary of the position responsibilities. We encourage you to review the DRAFT 2021-22 RA Terms and Conditions which include anticipated dates for the upcoming academic year.