Winter Break Closure
First-year students need to depart for break by noon on Saturday, Dec. 15.
Continuing & transfer students need to depart for break by 5 p.m., Saturday Dec.15.
Not returning to campus housing? Please come to Housing Administration (Bldg. 31) in person to cancel your housing. The last day to cancel without financial penalty is Thursday, Dec. 6.
Safety and Maintenance Checks
University Housing conducts Safety and Maintenance checks prior to Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break to ensure safety and security during periods of low occupancy. During checks, staff members will report any electrical/fire safety or policy concerns.
Winter Break Safety and Maintenance Checks will occur between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m. on Saturday, December 15, 2018. Students do NOT need to be present when their rooms are checked.
As you prepare for Breaks (Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring), please be sure and do the following:
- Close and lock ALL windows and doors.
- Close drapes and blinds.
- Turn off heaters.
- Turn off and unplug alarm clocks, stereos, and computers.
- Remove perishable food items, including emptying trash/recycling.
What to Expect During a Room Check
Room checks are intended to cause the least amount of inconvenience to students, while proactively addressing safety concerns.
Staff will announce their presence by knocking loudly prior to entering a room.
Staff will be looking for the following during room checks:
- Doors: Room numbers are intact and clearly visible
- Electrical Outlets: Not overloaded with excessive cords. Surge protectors are permitted but must be plugged directly into the wall and not into one another.
- Screens: Present, secure, and in good repair (no holes)
- Windows: Closed and locked (locking pin in place if present)
- Food/Trash: No open food and all trash removed from room
- Heaters: Turned off and no visible leaking
- Closet doors: Properly hung
- Walls: No damage or holes
- Mold: Wet window sills or walls, leaks, any visible mold growth
- Fire Safety Concerns: Candles, tampered smoke detectors, items hanging from the ceiling, unapproved lighting, mopeds in room, flammable items, etc.
- Other safety/policy concerns: lofted beds, lounge furniture in student rooms, etc.
- General overall condition of the room is good
- Curtains/blinds: Closed so that you cannot see in from outside
- Lights: All lights turned off
- Bikes: University Housing suggests storing your bike in your room, not outside
- Cerro Vista and Poly Canyon Village: (In addition to the checks above)
- Kitchens & Bathroom: Verify that all water is turned off (no dripping faucets or running toilets)
- Kitchen: Verify that ovens and stovetops are turned off
Staff will not open closets, refrigerators, or other private property areas
If any changes are needed, staff will leave a "fix-it-ticket" that describes the needed change. Once residents return, staff will check in to ensure that these items have been addressed.
If any violations of University Housing Community Standards are found, they will be documented for appropriate follow-up.