Winter Break Preparation
If you are returning to campus housing for Winter Quarter, you may leave items in your room, however, you will not have access to your room during the break. University Housing recommends you take all essential and high-value items with you, including identification, medications, computers and academic supplies that you may need should public health conditions shift reopening timelines.
As you prepare for Breaks, please:
- Remove perishable food items, including emptying trash/recycling.
- Close and lock ALL windows and doors.
- Close drapes and blinds.
- Turn off heaters.
- Turn off and unplug alarm clocks, stereos, and computers.
- Fill out the Fall Check-out Survey.
To make returning to campus easier for you, we are now only requiring North Mountain residents to return their keys before leaving winter break. All other students can keep their keys. If you already returned your keys, you will be able to pick them up from your front desk when you return in January.
North Mountain Residents: Complete all required fields on the envelope, place your key/access card inside and seal the envelope. Hand the envelope to the Staff Member at the front desk or drop it in an Express Check-out Dropbox.
Community Front Desks
Community Front Desks close on Nov. 21 at 5 p.m. If you need service on or after Nov. 22, please go to Housing Admin (Building 31) during business hours or call the afterhours RA-on-call number posted in your community.
Campus and University Housing (Building 31) is closed Thursday, Nov. 26 – Sunday, Nov. 29 and Friday, Dec. 25 – Friday, Jan. 1.
|Community Front Desks||Phone Number|
|Cerro Vista Community Center (All Buildings)||(805) 756-6790|
|Poly Canyon Village - Aliso Front Desk (All Buildings)||(805) 756-9301|
|Sierra Madre Community Center (Serves Yosemite)||(805) 756-5650|
|Building 31 (Serves Muir, North Mountain Halls, Santa Lucia, Sequoia, Tenaya & Trinity)||(805) 756-5670|
|yakʔitʸutʸu Housing Admin Building (All Buildings)||(805) 756-5097|
After-hours dropbox Locations
- Canyon Post (171A)
- Pacheco Post (172H)
- Lobby of Each Red Brick (to the right of the main door)
- Sierra Madre Community Center (in central lobby)
- Yosemite Community Center (in central lobby)
- Cerro Vista Community Center (to the right of the front desk)
Not returning to on-campus housing at Cal Poly for Winter Quarter? Please request to cancel/defer your housing through your Housing Portal and move out of your room by November 21 at 5:00 p.m.
Safety and Maintenance Checks
University Housing conducts Safety and Maintenance checks prior to Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break to ensure safety and security during periods of low occupancy. During checks, staff members will report any electrical/fire safety or policy concerns.
Safety and Maintenance Checks will occur during the break while you are not present.
What to Expect During a Room Check
Room checks are intended to cause the least amount of inconvenience to students, while proactively addressing safety concerns.
Staff will announce their presence by knocking loudly prior to entering a room.
Staff will be looking for the following during room checks:
- Doors: Room numbers are intact and clearly visible
- Electrical Outlets: Not overloaded with excessive cords. Surge protectors are permitted but must be plugged directly into the wall and not into one another.
- Screens: Present, secure, and in good repair (no holes)
- Windows: Closed and locked (locking pin in place if present)
- Food/Trash: No open food and all trash removed from room
- Heaters: Turned off and no visible leaking
- Closet doors: Properly hung
- Walls: No damage or holes
- Mold: Wet window sills or walls, leaks, any visible mold growth
- Fire Safety Concerns: Candles, tampered smoke detectors, items hanging from the ceiling, unapproved lighting, mopeds in room, flammable items, etc.
- Other safety/policy concerns: lofted beds, lounge furniture in student rooms, etc.
- General overall condition of the room is good
- Curtains/blinds: Closed so that you cannot see in from outside
- Lights: All lights turned off
- Bikes: University Housing suggests storing your bike in your room, not outside
- Cerro Vista and Poly Canyon Village: (In addition to the checks above)
- Kitchens & Bathroom: Verify that all water is turned off (no dripping faucets or running toilets)
- Kitchen: Verify that ovens and stovetops are turned off
Staff will not open closets, refrigerators, or other private property areas
If any changes are needed, staff will leave a "fix-it-ticket" that describes the needed change. Once residents return, staff will check in to ensure that these items have been addressed.
If any violations of University Housing Community Standards are found, they will be documented for appropriate follow-up.