Updated March 9, 2022
Spring Break Services
Please view our Staying for Break? flyer for services open during the break.
Community Front Desks
Front desks close for Spring Break at 5 p.m., Friday, March 18 and reopen at 3 p.m. on Sunday, March 27. If you are staying during the break and need a service, reach out to the Cerro Vista Front Desk, open 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. - 9 p.m. on weekends. Housing Admin. (Bldg. 31) is also open to assist you 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. on weekdays.
After hours, call the RA-on-call number located on our Contact Us page.
Prepping your Room
Before you depart for the break, please check our Safety and Maintenance flyer for info on securing your room. The Safety and Maintenance flyer also includes also information on preparing your room for Housing's Safety and Maintenance checks of all residences.
Safety and Maintenance Checks typically occur at the end of finals week and into Spring Break. Check with your RA for when checks will start in your community.
What to Expect During a Room Check
Room checks are intended to cause the least amount of inconvenience to students, while proactively addressing safety concerns.
Staff will announce their presence by knocking loudly prior to entering a room.
Staff will be looking for the following during room checks:
- Doors: Room numbers are intact and clearly visible
- Electrical Outlets: Not overloaded with excessive cords. Surge protectors are permitted but must be plugged directly into the wall and not into one another.
- Screens: Present, secure, and in good repair (no holes)
- Windows: Closed and locked (locking pin in place if present)
- Food/Trash: No open food and all trash removed from room
- Heaters: Turned off and no visible leaking
- Closet doors: Properly hung
- Walls: No damage or holes
- Mold: Wet window sills or walls, leaks, any visible mold growth
- Fire Safety Concerns: Candles, tampered smoke detectors, items hanging from the ceiling, unapproved lighting, mopeds in room, flammable items, etc.
- Other safety/policy concerns: lofted beds, lounge furniture in student rooms, etc.
- General overall condition of the room is good
- Curtains/blinds: Closed so that you cannot see in from outside
- Lights: All lights turned off
- Bikes: University Housing suggests storing your bike in your room, not outside
- Cerro Vista and Poly Canyon Village: (In addition to the checks above)
- Kitchens & Bathroom: Verify that all water is turned off (no dripping faucets or running toilets)
- Kitchen: Verify that ovens and stovetops are turned off
Staff will not open closets, refrigerators, or other private property areas
If any changes are needed, staff will leave a "fix-it-ticket" that describes the needed change. Once residents return, staff will check in to ensure that these items have been addressed.
If any violations of University Housing policies are observed, they will be documented for appropriate follow-up.
Not returning to campus housing at Cal Poly for spring quarter? Please request to cancel your housing through your Housing Portal and move out of your room. The last day to cancel housing for winter without incurring lack of notice fees charged at a nightly rate was Tuesday, Feb. 22.
After-hours Express Check-out Boxes (for cancellations/move-outs)
- Canyon Post (171A)
- Pacheco Post and the Community Center (172H)
- Trinity Hall (105)
- Sierra Madre Community Center (in central lobby)
- Cerro Vista Community Center (to the right of the front desk)