Updated Nov. 13, 2023
Fall Break Services + Front Desks
All residential buildings will remain open during the break. The Aliso desk in Poly Canyon Village is the only desk open during break: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. every day of break except Thursday, Nov. 23. All other front desks close for Fall Break at 8 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 18 and reopen at 8 a.m., Monday, Nov. 27.
If you are staying during the break and need a service when the front desk is closed, reach out to the RA on-call. Housing Admin. (Bldg. 31) is also available to assist you 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Wednesday, Nov. 20-22 by phone, 805-756-1226.
For after-hours support, call the RA-on-call number located at the front door of each community.
Staying for Break?
If you’re planning on sticking around, please let us know by filling out this brief survey. This will help us plan for the Friendsgiving meal and the necessary staffing to support your stay. A Friendsgiving meal will be held on 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 23 in Cerro Vista Community Center.
Prepping your Room
Before you depart for the break, check our Safety and Maintenance flyer for info on securing your room.
Safety and maintenance checks typically occur at the end of the week before break and into Fall Break. Check with your RA for when checks will start in your community.
What to Expect During a Room Check
Room checks are intended to cause the least amount of inconvenience to students, while proactively addressing safety concerns. Staff will announce their presence by knocking loudly prior to entering a room.
For Fall Break, staff will check the following items:
- Doors: Room numbers are intact and clearly visible
- Electrical Outlets: Not overloaded with excessive cords. Surge protectors are permitted but must be plugged directly into the wall and not into one another.
- Screens: Present, secure, and in good repair (no holes)
- Windows: Closed and locked (locking pin in place if present)
- Food/Trash: No open food and all trash removed from room
- Heaters: Turned off and no visible leaking
- Fire Safety Concerns: Candles, tampered smoke detectors, items hanging from the ceiling, unapproved lighting, mopeds in room, flammable items, etc.
- Lights: All lights turned off
- Cerro Vista Apartments and Poly Canyon Village: (In addition to the checks above)
- Kitchens & Bathroom: Verify that all water is turned off (no dripping faucets or running toilets)
- Kitchen: Verify that ovens and stove tops are turned off
Staff will not open closets, refrigerators, or other private property areas
If any changes are needed, staff will leave a "fix-it-ticket" that describes the change needed. Once residents return, staff will check in to ensure that these items have been addressed.
If any violations of University Housing policies are observed, they will be documented for appropriate follow-up.