A positive housing community is welcoming, respectful and provides its members with a sense of value. We are committed to creating equitable and accessible communities for all residents, staff members and guests. We believe in intentionally supporting those who hold marginalized identities to create an environment that benefits the entire community.
To support an inclusive environment, we, with our campus and community partners, provide the following resources and commitments within University Housing:
Access to Resources that Improve Equity
- Housing accommodations for residents with a disability, as approved through the Disability Resource Center.
- Improved access to food resources by hosting the Cal Poly Food Pantry in student communities.
- Nearly a million dollars in housing grants per year automatically distributed to low-income students, as assessed through the Financial Aid Office.
- Emergency housing for students experiencing housing insecurity, as part of the Cal Poly Cares Program.
Program-wide Support for Diversity Initiatives
- Social Change curriculum in place for all residents through their Residential Learning Community.
- Strategic planning, support, and education about issues related to diversity and inclusion by University Housing' Associate Director for Diversity & Inclusion.
Development of a Campus Climate Supportive of All Students
- Cultural and Identity-based residential learning communities for interested first-year and transfer students.
- Residential Learning Communities tied to the Cal Poly Scholars, Educational Opportunity and TRIO Achiever Programs.
- Gender-Inclusive Housing options for students who are more comfortable living with other members of the LGBTQ+ community and/or in housing options inclusive of all genders, gender identities, and expressions.
- All-gender restrooms available to students across campus housing communities, including all of yakʔitʸutʸu.
- Affinity Socials offered in partnership with the Cross Cultural Centers and Faculty Staff Associations.
- Ongoing partnership with the yak titʸu titʸu yak tiłhini tribe.
- Funding for programs related to diversity and inclusion that directly benefit Cal Poly residents. (Apply here.)
Student Learning and Development
- Diversity-related events and programming for students within their housing communities.
- Diversity and inclusion training for all Housing professional staff through the "Love, Empathy, Respect" curriculum.
- Four advocates for underrepresented students embedded in Housing communities. These student-staff members hold dual roles with University Housing as Resident Advisors and with the Cross Cultural Centers as student assistants.
Cal Poly supports diversity and inclusion efforts across campus. Everyone should have access to supportive people and programs that enable all students, residents and staff to feel welcome here.
Here are some of the programs on campus you should know about:
- Bias Incident Response Team, to report a potential bias on Cal Poly campus
- Cal Poly Police Department, to report a hate crime, harassment or safety concerns
- Cal Poly student organizations, includes a list of cultural clubs on campus
- Cross Cultural Centers, includes the Gender Equity, Men & Masculinity, Multicultural, and Pride Centers
- Disability Resource Center, for assistance with temporary and long-term disabilities
- Dream Center, supports and advocates for undocumented students and their allies
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Discrimination and Title IX, documents and responds to all reports of discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct
- Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, a reporting resource for student misconduct
- Office of University Diversity and Inclusion, leads diversity and inclusion efforts at Cal Poly
- Ombuds Services, the office offers mediation resources for students in resolving any university-related issue, concern, conflict, or complaint
- Safer, confidential resources for sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking
- Student Academic Services, includes the Black Academic Excellence Center, Cal Poly Scholars, Educational Opportunity Program, and TRIO Achievers
- Student Support Services, assists students who struggle in areas such as psychological health, physical health, relationship issues, family crisis, life trauma, social adjustment, and interpersonal conflict
- Veterans Success Center, comprehensive assistance to all military-connected students.