Community Standards and Safety
What are Community Standards and why do we have them?
Community Standards are policies that are set in place by University Housing that outline acceptable conduct and behavior. These policies exist to help students understand what a safe, inclusive, and respectful should look like both on and off campus. Keeping our residents safe and healthy is a priority for everyone at University Housing and in the greater Cal Poly community.
We provide a number of important services and programs designed to help students think ahead, live smart and play it safe during their years in on-campus housing. Being informed about the support systems in place for students at Cal Poly is the first step in making smart choices about health and safety while living on campus.
Community Standards Process Overview - Updated 8/2019
What does a good community member look like?
San Luis Obispo is full of great community members who are not only mindful of their impact on others, but work towards bettering the community that they live in. Students who reside in on-campus housing also live in a community and have responsibilities not only to themselves but to the community. A positive community is one that is defined as being inclusive, respectful and having a sense of safety. As a member of the Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, University Housing community, you are expected to make mature, responsible and respectful choices regarding your behavior. You have the responsibility of working together with other members of your community to develop a positive living environment. This responsibility is a rich learning opportunity, and you will grow by becoming an active member of your community. You will be able to participate in on-campus housing activities, learn to work cooperatively with your roommate, get involved in your Community Council, organize fun activities for your specific living area, and volunteer with the Community Partner Agency.
Community Rights and Responsibilities
Each student who lives in University Housing at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, has the following community rights and is accountable for the following community responsibilities. Each student who lives on campus should be aware of the community rights and responsibilities and work together with all community members to uphold these rights and responsibilities.
- Residents have the right to an environment which is conducive to sleep.
- Residents have the right to an environment which is conducive to study.
- Residents have the right to have their human dignity respected.
- Residents have the right to live in a clean and safe environment.
- Residents have the right to due process.
- Residents are responsible for their personal actions.
- Residents are responsible for getting involved in a positive manner in their community.
- Residents are responsible for respecting the differences of others.
- Residents are responsible for abiding by all community standards and policies as outlined in the Housing License and in the on-campus housing handbook.
- Residents are responsible for holding other community members responsible for their actions.
- Residents are responsible for taking an active role in the safety of their community.
Community and Safety Resources
- Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Office of Student Ombuds Services
- Campus Health & Wellbeing
- Survivor Resources
On-Campus Student Handbooks
- University Housing Policy Guide | Updated September 10, 2020
- University Housing Resource Guide | Updated September 1, 2020
- Overnight Visitors and Guests
- Information/Application for Minor Guest
- University Housing Student Computing Agreement
Evacuation Maps & Emergency Assembly Locations
- Cerro Vista Apartments
- North and South Mountain Halls (Red Bricks)
- Poly Canyon Village Apartments
- Towers (Sierra Madre and Yosemite)
- Full Campus Maps
- Report any pre-existing damages on your Housing Portal
- Damage Fee Schedule