Gender Inclusive Housing

Updated Feb. 17, 2017

University Housing partners with students to create welcoming and inclusive spaces for all students. 

Gender-inclusive housing is an option in which two or more students share a room or apartment regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, identity, or expression.

Gender-inclusive housing is one of the ways University Housing supports students who identify as transgender, genderqueer, or gender questioning (TGQQ). Offering this option continues our efforts to create accepting and comfortable communities for all students living within University Housing.

Gender-inclusive housing may be of interest to:

  • Members of the LGBTQ, gender and sexual diversity and ally communities
  • Students who are exploring their gender identity
  • Students who do not wish to identify themselves by gender
  • Students who feel more comfortable with a roommate of a different gender identity

Gender-inclusive housing is currently being offered in Poly Canyon Village for continuing students and in Cerro Vista and Yosemite for first-year students. For more information on gender-inclusive housing options, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions below.

Gender-inclusive housing is available to any student who opts in to this housing option. If you are interested in gender-inclusive housing, please request it when filling out your housing application. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What is gender-inclusive housing?

Gender-inclusive housing is an option in which two or more students share a room or apartment regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, identity, or expression.

Who is eligible for gender-inclusive housing?

All students who consider themselves supportive of or a member of the TGQQ community, and are comfortable having a roommate of any gender identity or expression are eligible for this housing option.

Which Learning Communities offer gender-inclusive housing?

Specific Learning Communities are not chosen until we know how many students are interested in this option. There are apartment and residence hall options available for students who want to live in gender-inclusive housing.

How much does it cost?

Cost depends on which community and room type a student is placed in. For cost information, please visit our fees and payment web sites for your student type (freshmen, transfer, or continuing).

What is the process to apply?

Students can indicate interest in this option on their housing application. Once housing is secured, students will get additional information on the process.

Can students move out of gender-inclusive housing mid year?

Students may request a room change following University Housing policies and procedures. Find more information about our room-trade process in the University Housing Resident Handbook. If a student in gender-inclusive housing chooses to change their housing assignment or move out before the end of the academic year, University Housing will assign the space to a student on the waiting list interested in gender-inclusive housing. Residential Life & Education staff assists residents in this process and filling vacancies.

Can a parent influence placement?

Cal Poly respects the decisions and confidentiality of students as they complete their housing contract, in accordance with FERPA guidelines. We do encourage students to discuss this option with their parents and/or supporters.

Can students request not to be placed in gender-inclusive housing?

Gender-inclusive housing is optional.

Is living in gender-inclusive housing protected information?

Yes, this information is protected by FERPA.

How does choosing gender-inclusive housing impact my freshmen Learning Community preferences?

Although preferences are not guaranteed for any student, your specific interest in or no preference for gender-inclusive housing could supersede one or more of the learning community preferences you selected.

Will I have a Resident Advisor?

Yes, all residents in University Housing are assigned a Resident Advisor.

Where can I find more information on how to request to live in a gender-inclusive housing option?

Please feel free to contact Housing Administration at 805-756-1226 with questions or concerns.

Where can I learn more about the Cal Poly TGQQ community?

Visit the Pride Center website, call 805-756-7733 or email

Related Content

Support Another Student

Give Today.

Strategic Plan

Get the Student Affairs Strategic Plan

Get the Strategic Plan

Res Life Events

Res Life Event Calendar