Mold Prevention

Mold is pervasive in the environment and needs water, food, and warmth to grow. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, such as those with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions. Severe reactions may occur among workers exposed to large amounts of molds in occupational settings, such as farmers working around moldy hay. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. Some people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs. Click here for more information from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

To prevent mold from growing in your residence, follow these guidelines:

  • Reduce Humidity
    • Routinely open your window/door and run your fan when home
    • Air out wet towels and other wet items
    • Wipe any visible condensation with a paper towel and discard in trash
  • Remove food sources
    • Mold feeds on dust. Routinely wipe down dusty surfaces.
    • Mold feeds on wet paper, cardboard, and food debris. Dry out wet paper or cardboard and clean up food debris.
    • Clean up spills (e.g., milk, soft drinks, sports drinks, etc.)
  • Report the following to you RA and Submit a Service Request
    • If you notice mold growing or reoccurring
    • If you notice condensation on your windows or walls
    • If your roof, window, or door leaks

Related Content

The Future of Housing

View Plans

Diversity & Inclusion

We are committed to creating equitable communities for all residents, staff and guests.

Find out how

Get Involved with Housing

Let's go!