Updated: June 9, 2021
Farewell Mustangs! We'll miss you.
Before you leave campus housing, see the info and guides below to support you in preparing for your move and check out of University Housing. These resources will ensure a smooth transition and support you in avoiding room charges.
All students must move out by 5 p.m, Sunday, June 13.
Note! Due to heavy traffic, we recommend that residents depart campus promptly after completing finals. Traffic will be heavy on Saturday, June 12 and Sunday, June 13, as we celebrate Spring Commencement. On these days, plan to move out before 9 a.m.
Please limit yourself to two supporters to help you move out.
Checking out of your residence hall or apartment is as easy as one-two-three. Follow the steps below to prep for move-out and avoid fees.
Failure to do a Room Condition Form, conduct an Express Check-Out in your Housing Portal, and return your keys (in that order) will result in a minimum $25 charge, in addition to fees related to lost keys, access cards, cleaning, or damages. Damage charge amounts can be found here.
University Housing promptly posts individual charges to student accounts for failure to follow check-out procedures, lost keys and lost access cards. Other charges post to student accounts by late July.
Step 1: Pack
- Donate items you no longer want to a donation station on campus.
- Donate unused dining dollars through the Mustang Meal Share Program.
- Purchase boxes at the Canyon Post or from off-campus stores.
- Don't forget your bike! Bikes left on campus during summer will be impounded. Take it home or rent a bike locker for $25. Contact Commuter Services at 805-756-6680 or email@example.com.
Step 2: Clean
To avoid charges, please make sure that your room is clean and all personal items have been removed.
- Make sure you empty trash and recycling bins. (You don't have to wash them out.) Don't leave your trash in the hallway, rooms, or common areas.
- Wipe down your furniture, window sills, fridge and microwave (if you have one.) Don't forget to wipe out the inside of your drawers, too!
- Sweep or vacuum all floors. Vacuums are available in all areas (in each apartment, community closets, or at your front desk).
- Remove all tape, stickers and residue from hard surfaces.
- Return all furniture to standard room layouts following signage posted in your community and listed below. Furniture should not block windows or closets. Fridges should be on the floor and plugged into the wall.
Step 3: Checkout
Once you are packed and your room is clean, you're ready to check out! Follow these procedures in the following order:
How to check-out:
- After you've removed all items, complete a Room Condition Form in your Housing Portal.
- Take pictures of your empty room and complete an Express Checkout in your Housing Portal, to check yourself out of your room.
- Grab an envelope from the Express Check-out box in your community, and label it with your name, date you checked out, and your housing assignment (Room number and building).
- Place your key and access card in the envelope, and drop it in the Express Check-out Key Box.
Failure to follow the check-out process in the above order will result in a minimum $25 charge, in addition to fees related to lost keys, access cards, cleaning or damages.
- University Housing promptly posts individual charges to student accounts for failure to follow check-out procedures, lost keys and lost access cards. Other charges post to student accounts by late July.
Not sure where to return your keys and/or access card? Put your keys/access card in an Express Check-Out envelope and drop them in the Express Check-Out Key Box. You can find envelopes and Express Check-Out Boxes at the following locations:
- Housing Admin Building (31)
- Canyon Post in Poly Canyon Village
- Cerro Vista Community Center by the Front Desk
- Yosemite Community Center Lobby
- Sierra Madre Community Center Lobby
- Lobby of each Red Brick Building (to the right of the main entrance)
- Pacheco Post in yakʔitʸutʸu
North Mountain residents: Use the Express Check-Out Key Box in the Housing Admin Building (31). If the Housing Admin Building is closed, your access card grants you access to Trinity Hall. An Express Check-out Box is located to the right of the main entrance.
Before you head out for the summer, be sure to move your bedroom back to its original configuration. Use the layouts below as a guide. Please note: Room layouts can vary, even within the same community. When you reset your room, the furniture should not block doors, windows or closets. Mini-fridges should be left on the floor (not the furniture) and be plugged directly into the wall (not the surge protector).
- North Mountain
- South Mountain (Red Bricks)
- Sierra Madre
- yakʔitʸutʸu - residents of yakʔitʸutʸu do not need to move furniture back to its original position, as rooms are being reconfigured for next year.
- Cerro Vista
- Poly Canyon Village
During Move-out (June 7-13), 40-minute loading is permitted in designated lots near residence halls and apartments. If you park in an alternate lot or plan to stay longer than 40 minutes, a parking permit is required.
Please move your vehicle after you load your car. In Poly Canyon Village only, 40-minute curbside loading will be available around PCV loop during move-out. Obey all signage and traffic laws. Red zones and metered parking rules apply. RVs, oversized vehicles and trailers are not allowed.
University Housing partners with storage companies to offer residents the option of shipping their belongings home or easily storing items at an off-site storage facility. If you are interested in having your items shipped to your permanent home or stored for the summer, you may contact one of the following two moving companies.
· Campus Storage, LLC: 1-877-99-CAMPUS
· College Boxes: 866-269-4887
You can also reach out to local storage companies to inquire about their summer storage options. Here's a map of local storage resources.
During a recent move-out, we sent 47.7 tons of material to the landfill. We can do better! This year, we’re giving you more ways to keep things out of the landfill by recycling, reusing, composting, and donating.
From June 4 to June 13, here's what we are collecting:
|Collecting||Acceptable Items||Where Are the Bins?||Your Donations go to|
|Clothing & Household items||Clean clothing, home goods, kitchen items, school supplies, and electronics. Clean bedding is accepted, but no mattress toppers.||
The Goodwill Donation Trailers will be at:
Additional donation bins are at:
|Non-perishable food||Food with a long shelf life: canned and jarred foods, pasta, soups, and packaged snacks.||
||Cal Poly Food Pantry|
|Compost||Food waste ONLY.||Green compost bins in your trash enclosures||KompoGas Anaerobic Digester Facility in SLO|
|Recycling||Paper, cardboard, plastics, metal and glass.||Blue recycling bins in your trash enclosures||A local recycling facility|
Here are other resources to help you with Move-out: