Updated: June 10, 2020
Former residents that left items in their room due to COVID-19 can now schedule a move-out appointment to retrieve their items. Go to your Housing Portal to select from scheduled move-out arrival and departure times over a period of weeks. Strict social distancing guidelines will be in place for the duration of your visit.
Please do not return to campus immediately, or without an appointment at any time, as there will be limited staff due to rotating schedules. They will not be able to let you into your room, and the locks have been changed.
San Luis Obispo hotels are open to Cal Poly students and families who are traveling to the area to move out and need lodging. Call the SLO Visitor Center at 1-877-SLO-TOWN for assistance in connecting with available options.
Retrieving Your Items
If you are interested in returning to Cal Poly to retrieve your items:
- Sign up for a time in your Housing Portal. Please plan your travel; we cannot accommodate residents who arrive outside of their scheduled arrival time.
- Campus staff will be on hand to open rooms for you. We will not be re-issuing keys, and the keys you may still have will not open your space.
- Please bring no more than two additional people with you from your permanent residence.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be required, so please bring a cloth face covering and plan to wear it while in all buildings. Campus will also be taking strong social distancing measures to ensure the continued health and safety of our community.
Pack and Ship + Pack and Store
Cal Poly has secured some options to pack and ship or pack and store your belongings. If you are interested in having your items shipped to you or stored, at your cost, you may contact one of the following three moving companies. These companies will only be retrieving items from residents’ rooms on June 15-19.
If you would like to donate any of your items to local thrift stores, there will be donation stations in the lobbies of your building. Please do not leave any trash or belongings behind; otherwise, you may incur a cleaning fee.
Any items left in rooms after Friday, June 19, will be donated or disposed of.
Looking for a place to store your bike over summer? Don't want to transport it home? Rent a secure bike locker and your bike will be ready for you when you return. Learn more here.
Damage charges are typically posted to student accounts by late July. Unless otherwise communicated by RA staff, damage charges will be split evenly between all assigned residents of the room or apartment.
Residents will be notified of charges through their Cal Poly email and may request a review of any charges assigned.
Before you head out, be sure to move your bedroom back to its original configuration. Use the layouts below as a guide. Please note: Room layouts can vary, even within the same community. When you reset your room, the furniture should not block doors, windows or closets. Mini-fridges should be left on the floor (not the furniture) and be plugged directly into the wall (not the surge protector).
- North Mountain
- South Mountain (Red Bricks)
- Sierra Madre
- Cerro Vista
- Poly Canyon Village
Here are other resources to help you with Move-out: