Transfer & Graduate Student Housing
Next year's Housing Options
Welcome to Cal Poly! We're excited for you to join our campus community.
Though it is not required, housing is available to transfer and graduate students in our fully furnished campus apartments. The Transfer and Graduate community is traditionally placed in campus apartments, based on the availability of rooms and your Residential Learning Community choice.
The majority of our campus apartments feature private rooms in shared 4-person apartments. A limited number of shared rooms in 6-person apartments are also offered in Poly Canyon Village. Housing placements and room-types will be offered based on public health conditions. Please check back for updates.
If you're interested in living off-campus, visit our Off-Campus Housing Resource page.
Steps to Secure Housing
1. Accept your offer of admission
Only students who accept their offer of admission will be able to apply for campus housing.
2. Apply for housing
The 2020-21 Housing Application for new transfers opens on April 8. Apply in your Housing Portal. One to two business days after accepting your offer of admission, go to University Housing on the Cal Poly Portal to secure housing. The last day to edit your application is May 7, 2021. The application remains open until all spaces are filled.
On the housing application you will:
- Agree to the contract.
- Make your non-refundable $500 initial payment.
- Select a dining plan. (Optional)
- Request up to three roommates. (Optional)
- Select preferred housing options — including a Residential Learning Community, gender-inclusive Pride housing, Grad Guard Renters Insurance, and more.
- Let us know if you're planning to stay for Winter Break (Dec. 11-Jan. 2). Winter Break is not included in your Housing Contract; an additional fee applies for Winter Break residents.
- Let us know if you plan to contact the Disability Resource Center to request a housing accommodation due to a medical need.
Assignments are based on the gender indicated on the CSU Mentor application. If you need to change that, contact University Housing directly.
The last day to cancel your campus housing without incurring further financial penalty is Aug. 13, 2021. To cancel your housing, go to University Housing in your Cal Poly Portal, then click on Housing Cancellations.
Residential Learning Communities
Learning communities in University Housing are a group of students who live together and engage in experiences focused around their field of study, career, identity, or personal interest. All students who live on-campus at Cal Poly are housed in a learning community.
Click here for more info about the residential learning communities offered to transfer students.
Mustang Move-in dates have not yet been determined. Watch this space for updates!
Winter and Spring Housing
Planning to move on campus in Winter or Spring quarter? You will need to fill out a different application. Visit the Winter and Spring Housing webpage for more information.