First-year Student Housing
Updated: June 26, 2019
The 2019-20 Housing Application for first-year students opened on Thursday, March 21 at 9 a.m. Apply here.
Welcome to Cal Poly! We're excited for you to join our campus community. Because students who live on campus have greater academic success, Cal Poly requires all first-year students to live on campus. First-year students live in residence halls near the core of campus: Yosemite & Sierra Madre, South Mountain Halls, North Mountain Halls and yakʔitʸutʸu.
In your community, you have access to academic, social, wellness and awareness events. You will also have many opportunities to build friendships that will stay with you long after you graduate.
In specific situations, students can apply for a housing exemption.
Learn more here.>>
Residential Learning Communities
At Cal Poly, students apply to live in a Residential Learning Community— not a specific building. Residential Learning Communities house the academic, social, identity and interest-specific Living Learning Programs that connect and build community among first-year students.
Students indicate their top Residential Learning Community (RLC) preference in the application. To provide as many students as possible with the community of their choice, University Housing may move the location of programs from year to year.
Learn more about our Residential Learning Communities here.
2019-20 RLC Locations
|Residential Learning Community||Location|
|Asian and Pacific Islander Scholars||tšɨłkukunɨtš|
|College of Architecture and Environmental Design||Tenaya|
College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences
|Santa Lucia, Lassen & Shasta|
|College of Liberal Arts||Muir|
|Collaborative Leadership||Santa Lucia, Diablo, Palomar & Whitney|
|College of Science and Math||tsɨtkawayu, elewexe|
|Cal Poly Scholars||Sequoia and Trinity|
|Cross Cultural Scholars||Trinity|
|Engineering||Sierra Madre Towers 0-5|
|iCommunity||Yosemite Towers 1-3|
|Mindful Living||tiłhini, tšɨłkukunɨtš & tsɨtqawɨ|
|Mindful Living - 24/7 Quiet||tsɨtpxatu|
|Orfalea College of Business||Yosemite Towers 4-9|
|Poly Tech||Yosemite Tower 0 & 6|
|Pride Community||Yosemite Tower 6|
Steps to Secure Housing
1. Accept your offer of admission
Only students who accept their offer will be able to apply for campus housing.
2. Apply for housing
The application opened on March 21. After the application opens and one to two business days after accepting your offer of admission, go to University Housing on the Cal Poly Portal to secure housing. The last day to edit your application and be eligible for the room selection process is May 7, 2019.
On the housing application you will:
- Agree to the housing contract. (Designate a cosigner if you are under the age of 18.)
- Make your initial payment ($500 for housing + $1,000 for dining).
- Select your top Residential Learning Community preferences.
- Add accommodation information.
- Request up to two roommates.
- Select your preferred housing options — such as Gender-Inclusive Housing, a Dining Plan, Grad Guard Renters Insurance and more.
3. Select your room
In mid-to-late June and through July, students will receive a room selection appointment and participate in room selection. Room selection appointments are based on the date you secured housing and a lottery. Return to the application during your room selection window to pick a room for yourself and members of your roommate group.
- If you are part of an approved roommate group, only one member assigns all roommates in the group. We suggest you coordinate with roommates to determine who has the earliest appointment and discuss your preferred housing options.
- Once you begin room selection, you can view available rooms based on your Residential Learning Community request. Interactive floorplans will also be available.
- You will be able to select from available spaces in either your first OR your second RLC preference — based on demand and availability. (You will not see both communities at once.) If all spaces in your preferred communities are full, you will select from other available spaces.
- Our residence halls feature a mix of double, triple and quad rooms. Review what room-types are offered in each community. That info will be helpful during room selection. But keep in mind: room-types are not guaranteed.
- You will receive a confirmation email when your selection is complete.
- Once you’ve assigned into a room, there will be no changes until after room selection has ended.
The last day to cancel campus housing without financial penalty is Aug. 15, 2019. To cancel your housing, go to University Housing in your Cal Poly Portal, then click on Housing Cancellations.
Note: First-year students live in residence halls. Should the incoming first-year class exceed the number of spaces in the residence halls, first-years may also live in Cerro Vista Apartments. Residence hall occupancy and room configurations are subject to change.
First-year Housing Application Steps and Timeline
First-year Student Housing Fees
New students move in Saturday, Sept. 14. See the Mustang Move-in page for more info.
Winter and Spring Housing
Not planning on moving to Cal Poly until Winter or Spring quarter? You'll fill out a different application for housing. Visit the Winter and Spring Housing webpage to learn more.