Freshman Student Housing
Updated: March 20, 2018
The freshman application opens Tuesday, March 27 during business hours to students who have accepted the offer of admission. We typically open the housing application at 9 a.m.
Freshman Student Live-on Requirement
Because students who live on campus have greater success in college, Cal Poly requires all freshman students to live on campus. Freshmen live in university residence halls. Residents have access to academic, social, wellness and awareness events, enjoy opportunities to build life-long friendships and typically achieve better grades than those who live off campus.
In specific situations, students can apply for an exemption (pdf).
Steps to Secure Housing
The housing application opens Tuesday, March 27 to students who have accepted their offer of admission.
Accept Your Offer of Admission
Only students who "accept" their offer of admission will be able to apply for campus housing.
One to two business days after accepting your offer of admission, go to University Housing single-click access on the Cal Poly Portal to apply for and secure housing. The last day to apply for housing or edit your application is May 15.
On the housing application you will:
- Select your top five Residential Learning Community preferences.
- Complete/verify your profile info.
- Complete your Meningococcal response via these two steps: 1) Confirm that you have read the info provided about Meningococcal and 2) let us know if you have received/intend to receive the vaccine or do not intend to receive the vaccine.
- Add accommodation information.
- Agree to the contract and designate a cosigner to complete this step if you are under the age of 18.
- Have the option to request a discounted room (triple in most residence halls or quad in ytt, the new housing community).
- Make your initial payment ($500 for housing + $1,000 for dining). The freshman initial payment is fully refundable if you cancel your housing by Aug. 15, 30 days prior to move-in.
- Request up to two roommates.
- Select preferred housing options such as Gender-Inclusive housing, Grad Guard Renters Insurance, etc.
Assignments are based on the gender indicated on the CSU Mentor application. If you need to change that, contact University Housing directly.
Preferences are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, based upon the date the student secured housing (by completing all of the steps above), demand, and availability.
Freshman housing assignments are viewable starting 9 a.m., Monday, Aug. 6, 2018 by accessing the housing application on the Cal Poly Portal. Students will be able to submit a room change request online in mid-August and will be accommodated as space allows.
With the opening of ytt, it is our intention that all freshmen will be living in residence halls and apartments will be for upperclassmen. Should the incoming freshmen class exceed the number of bedspaces in the residence halls, freshmen may be assigned into Cerro Vista Apartments. As well, residence hall occupancy/room configurations are subject to change, based on the availability of facilities.
The last day to cancel campus housing without financial penalty is Wednesday, Aug. 15. To cancel housing prior to move-in, complete our online Housing & Dining Cancellation Form.
Residential Learning Communities
At Cal Poly, students apply to live in a Residential Learning Community and not a specific building.
Residential Learning Communities house the academic, social and interest-specific Living Learning Programs that connect and build community among first-year students.
Students indicate their top five Learning Community Program preferences for consideration during housing assignments. To provide as many students as possible with the community of their choice, University Housing may move the location of programs from year to year.
View the list of Learning Community Programs here.
In 2017, 89% of students were assigned to one of their top five Residential Learning Community preferences.
New student fall move-in is set for Friday & Saturday, Sept. 14-15.
Early Start Programs participants who are part of campus sanctioned programs that support fall opening qualify for early move-in.
Additional information will be posted in May. Please check back.
Winter and Spring Housing
Need to live on campus starting with the winter or spring quarter? Visit the Winter and Spring Housing webpage.