First-year Student Housing
Updated: Aug. 14, 2020
Academic Year 2020-21 Planning
Welcome to Cal Poly! We're excited for you to join our campus community. Cal Poly requires all first-year students to live on campus in one of our residence halls: Yosemite & Sierra Madre, South Mountain Halls, North Mountain Halls or yakʔitʸutʸu. In your community, you have access to academic, social, wellness, and awareness events. You will also have many opportunities to build friendships that will stay with you long after you graduate.
For 2020-21, the College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED) and the College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Science (CAFES) will join Athletics and the Cal Poly Scholars Program in requiring its incoming first-year students to live on campus for the first two years.
In specific situations, students can apply for a housing exemption.
Learn more here.>>
While we do not know what the public health status of our community or state will be in fall, University Housing is moving forward with the expectation that students will be arriving in September.
As the situation evolves, we will communicate with students to help everyone make decisions with their health and safety top of mind.
For fall housing updates, including assignments, deferral and cancellation info., please check the Housing COVID-19 website.>>
Still need to sign up for fall Housing?
1. Accept your offer of admission
Only students who accept their offer will be able to apply for campus housing.
2. Apply for housing
After the application opens one to two business days after accepting your offer of admission, go to University Housing on the Cal Poly Portal to secure housing.
On the housing application you will:
- Agree to the housing contract. (Designate a cosigner if you are under the age of 18.)
- Make your initial payment ($500 for housing + $1,000 for dining).
- Select your top Residential Learning Community preferences.
- Let us know if you plan to request a disability-related accommodation from the Disability Resource Center.
- Let us know if you're planning to stay for Winter Break (Nov. 21-Jan.3). Winter Break is not included in your Housing Contract; an additional fee applies for Winter Break residents.
- Choose a same-gender room or a gender-inclusive room:
- Same-gender room: Students share a room with other students of the same sex or gender.
- Gender-inclusive Rooms (LGBTQ+ and allies): We recognize that many students would be more comfortable living with members of the LGBTQ+ community and/or in housing options inclusive of all genders, gender identities, and expressions (not gendered into male and female spaces). Gender-inclusive rooms are available in both the Pride Residential Community and in small clusters throughout all other residential learning communities.
- Choose other housing options — including a Dining Plan, Grad Guard Renters Insurance and more.
3. View your room assignment
Room assignments were originally scheduled to be released mid-July, though that will be delayed as we wait for the CSU's approval for housing plans and state's housing guidelines.
Note: First-year students live in residence halls. Should the incoming first-year class exceed the number of spaces in the residence halls, first-years may also live in Cerro Vista Apartments. Residence hall occupancy and room configurations are subject to change.
University Housing looks forward to welcoming you to your campus home! To protect the health and safety of residents and staff, Mustang Move-in has been extended to include more days. Students and supporters are expected to abide by physical distancing policies and wear face coverings while on campus. In order to stagger visitors, all students will book a move-in appointment for a particular date and time.
Given the evolving nature of COVID-19, we strongly advise that you keep your travel plans as flexible as possible — as dates may continue to change.
Cancellations and Fall Housing Deferrals
For more information about canceling your housing for the academic year or deferring your fall housing until winter quarter, please see the Housing's COVID-19 Information website.
Winter and Spring Housing
Not planning on moving to Cal Poly until Winter or Spring quarter? You'll fill out a different application for housing — unless you deferred your fall housing, in which case your prior application will be used. Visit the Winter and Spring Housing webpage to learn more.