First-year Student Housing
Updated: April 15, 2021
Next Year's Housing
Welcome to Cal Poly! We're excited for you to join our campus community.
Cal Poly requires all first-year students to live on campus in one of our residence halls: Yosemite & Sierra Madre, South Mountain Halls, North Mountain Halls or yakʔitʸutʸu. In your community, you have access to academic, social, wellness, and awareness events. You will also have many opportunities to build friendships that will stay with you long after you graduate.
Our residence halls feature double, triple and quad rooms. The majority of rooms are triples. Should new student enrollment increase and/or public health conditions require reduced occupancy levels, some first-years may be housed in campus apartments.
For 2021-22, the College of Engineering (CENG) will join the College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED), the College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Science (CAFES), Athletes, and the Cal Poly Scholars Program in requiring its incoming first-year students to live on campus for their first two years. First-year students who are part of these programs will sign a two-year housing contract when they complete the first-year housing application.
In specific situations, students can apply for a housing exemption.
Learn more here.>>
Residential Learning Communities
At Cal Poly, students request to live in a Residential Learning Community — not a specific building. Residential Learning Communities house the academic, social, identity and interest-specific programs that connect and build community among first-year students.
Students indicate their top Residential Learning Community (RLC) preferences in their housing application. To meet the needs of the RLC program and its residents, University Housing may move the location of programs from year to year.
Steps to Secure Housing
1. Accept your offer of admission
The 2021-22 Housing Application opens on April 8. Only students who accept their offer will be able to apply for campus housing.
2. Apply for housing
After the application opens on April 8, and one to two business days after accepting your offer of admission, go to University Housing on the Cal Poly Portal to secure housing. The last day to edit your application is May 7.
On the housing application you will:
- Agree to the housing contract. (Designate a cosigner if you are under the age of 18.)
- Make your initial payment ($500 for housing + $1,000 for dining).
- Select your top Residential Learning Community preferences.
- Let us know if you plan to request a disability-related accommodation from the Disability Resource Center.
- Let us know if you're planning to stay for Winter Break (Dec. 11-Jan. 2). Winter Break is not included in your Housing Contract; an additional fee applies for Winter Break residents.
- Request up to one roommate, for a maximum group size of two.
- Select your preferred housing options — such as gender-inclusive Pride Room in the Pride Residential Learning Community or in any other learning community, a Dining Plan, Grad Guard Renters Insurance and more.
4. Look out for your Housing Assignment
University Housing assigns students to rooms on campus based on the preferences listed in their application, demand, and availability. Assignments are also based on the gender indicated on the CSU Mentor application. If you need to change that, contact University Housing directly.
Watch out for an email from University Housing, letting you know that you have been assigned a space on campus in late August. (You will also be able to view and reach out to your roommates!)
The last day to cancel campus housing for approved reasons without financial penalty is Aug. 15, 2021. For more information or to cancel your housing, go to University Housing in your Cal Poly Portal, then click on Cancellations.
Residence Hall and and Apartments
Note! Campus Housing occupancy and room configurations are subject to change.
For more info on Mustang Move-in, see our Mustang Move-in Page.
Staying on campus to get ahead on classes during the summer? We offer summer housing!