Continuing Student Housing
Updated: Jan. 20, 2021
Next Year's Housing Options
The California State University (CSU) recently announced that it anticipates a return to primarily in-person courses starting with the fall 2021 term. Our campus, therefore, is moving forward with the expectation that apartments will be fully occupied with continuing students. If public health conditions necessitate changes to this plan, we will communicate this to students to support you in making decisions with your health and safety top of mind.
Continuing students live in the Cerro Vista or Poly Canyon Village apartments. Most campus apartments feature four private rooms, but there are a limited number of five-person apartments (all private rooms) and six-person apartments (two lower-cost shared rooms and two private rooms). Students who live in campus apartments enjoy 360-degree views, amazing hikes, and nearby shops — right in their backyard.
See housing fees for campus apartments. >>
The 2021-22 Housing App opens to continuing students in winter quarter and remains open until all spaces are filled. Here are some important dates:
Starting Jan. 20
Students with a two-year housing requirement can request an exemption for their second year
|Starting Feb. 2||
Students with a two-year housing requirement (CAED, CAFES, student athletes, and Cal Poly Scholars) can apply
|Starting March 2||All other interested continuing students can apply|
|Starting March 19||Return to the application to request roommates|
Last day to edit your living options and roommate groups
|View your fall housing assignment|
|Aug. 13||Last day to cancel to avoid late cancellation fees. The $500 initial payment is non-refundable if you cancel to live off-campus.|
Apply + Choose Roommates
Once the app opens in your Housing Portal, you can apply, sign the housing contract, and submit the non-refundable $500 initial payment.
Starting March 19, you can request up to three roommates. Details:
- Roommate groups are optional. You can apply as an individual.
- Request roommates in the app by searching for their Cal Poly email. Only students who have completed the app will be searchable. Your roommate must confirm your request.
- The majority of campus apartments are four-person, four-room. We have a limited number of five-person, five-room apartments and six-person, four-room apartments (with two shared rooms) in Poly Canyon Village.
- If you are hoping to live with a student that does not have a two-year housing requirement — remind them to apply for housing early, before all spaces fill.
- Communicate with your roommate(s) about your community and apartment preferences.
Residential Learning Communities (RLCs)
Housing assignments are based on your RLC preference, which you select in the housing app. Explore 2020-21 RLC options. >>
- Discuss your RLC preference with your roommate group and that your preferences match.
- Since some communities fill quickly, preferences are not guaranteed. If your preferred community fills, you will be placed in an open apartment in another community.
Choose who you would prefer to share an apartment with:
- Same-gender: Share an apartment with other students of the same sex or gender.
- Mixed-gender: Share an apartment with other students of any sex or gender.
- Pride: Live with members of the LGBTQ+ community and/or in housing options inclusive of all genders, gender identities, and expressions (not gendered into male and female spaces). Pride apartments are available in both the Pride Community and in small clusters throughout all other residential learning communities.
Other living options
In the application, you can als0 let us know if you:
- Want renter's insurance
- Plan to seek out a disability-related housing accommodation through the Disabilty Resource Center (DRC)
- Plan to stay for Winter Break (Dec. 11, 2021-Jan. 2, 2022). Winter Break is not included in your Housing Contract; an additional fee applies.
Two-Year Housing Requirement
CAFES, CAED, student athletes, and Cal Poly Scholars are required to live on campus their first two years. You can learn more about our two-year housing program and exemptions here. Exemptions requests can be submitted starting Jan. 20, 2021.
Cancellations + Fall Deferrals
You can cancel your Housing Contract before 2021 Fall Move-in through your Housing Portal. A 30-days notice is required (by Aug. 13) to avoid late cancellation fees. The initial $500 payment is not refundable if you cancel to live off campus.
If public health conditions require virtual learning to continue in fall 2021, University Housing will offer students the opportunity to defer the start of their housing contract to the following quarter.
Fall 2021 Move-in dates have not been announced yet. Watch this space for updates!
Winter and Spring Housing
Not planning on moving to Cal Poly until Winter or Spring quarter? You'll fill out a different application for housing — unless you deferred your fall housing, in which case your prior application will be used. Visit the Winter and Spring Housing webpage to learn more.