Continuing Student Housing
Updated: Feb. 19, 2020
Continuing Student Housing
On-campus, students can live in the Cerro Vista or Poly Canyon Village apartments. These furnished four-, five-, and six-person apartments are safe and convenient with all the amenities and 24/7 staff support. Plus, there’s 360-degree views, amazing hikes, and nearby shops — right in your backyard.
2020-21 Campus Housing: How it works
The application in now open, and accessible in your Housing Portal.
Submit an application and choose your roommates
Apply, sign the housing contract, and submit the non-refundable $500 initial payment to secure your spot in an apartment on campus. You can return to the application any time until Feb. 18 to edit your living options and be included in the first round of room selection. If you complete this information after Feb. 18, you will be included in the second round of room selection, forecasted to take place early March.
You can request up to five roommates in your application. Only students who have secured housing can be added as roommates.
- Being part of a roommate group is optional. You can apply for housing as an individual.
- Request roommates in the application by searching for their Cal Poly email. Only students who have completed the application will be searchable. Your roommate must confirm your request.
- The majority of campus apartments are four-person, four-room. We have a limited number of five-person, five-room apartments and six-person, four-room apartments (with two shared rooms) in Poly Canyon Village. They fill quickly, so keep that in mind as you form your group.
Communicate with your roommates about your community and apartment preferences.
Residential Learning Community Preference
Housing is based on Residential Learning Communities (RLCs). Residential Learning Communities and their locations for 2020-21 have been determined. In your application, select your preference for an RLC and receive instructions for room selection.
- Placement in your preference is not guaranteed. Some communities do fill quickly. If your preferred community fills, you can select an open apartment in another community during room selection.
- Make sure you discuss RLC preference with your roommate group and that your preferences match.
In the application, choose who you would prefer to share an apartment with:
- Same-gender apartment: Students share an apartment with other students of the same sex or gender.
- Mixed-gender apartment: Students share an apartment with other students of any sex or gender.
- Pride apartment: We recognize that many students would be more comfortable living with members of the LGBTQ+ community and/or in housing options inclusive of all genders, gender identities, and expressions (not gendered into male and female spaces). Pride apartments are available in both the Pride Community and in small clusters throughout all other residential learning communities.
Other living options
In the application, you can let us know if you:
- Want renter's insurance
- Plan to seek out a disability-related housing accommodation through the DRC
- Plan to stay for Winter Break (Dec. 12-Jan.3). Winter Break is not included in your Housing Contract; an additional fee applies for Winter Break residents.
Select a room
Feb. 21 - March 2
Students that have submitted their application and finalized their roommate groups by Feb. 18 will be assigned a room selection appointment between Feb. 21 and March 2. The room selection appointment is determined by your group size and a lottery. The date you secured housing has no impact on your appointment time. Again, if you complete the application after Feb. 18, you will be offered a room selection appointment at a later date in March.
During your appointment, you will select a space in Poly Canyon Village or Cerro Vista Apartments for yourself and any roommates.
General room selection takes place in the following order:
|WHO||WHAT||WHERE||NUMBER OF APARTMENTS AVAILABLE|
|6-person groups only||Picking 6-person apartments||Poly Canyon Village||77|
|5-person groups only||Picking 5-person apartments||Poly Canyon Village: Buena Vista, Huasna, Corralitos, Estrella and Gypsum only||48|
|4- and 3-person groups||Picking from 4-person apartments||Cerro Vista and Poly Canyon Village||
Cerro Vista: 198
|Individuals and 2-person groups||Picking spaces in all unfilled apartments||Cerro Vista and Poly Canyon Village||N/A|
Any 6- or 5-person groups that exceed the number of available apartments will be notified and can divide up their roommate groups to be included in a later lottery.
Students who submit an application after Feb. 18 will not be able to participate in the initial round of room selections or form roommate groups. They will select from the spaces remaining after the first rounds of room selection are complete.
See a room selection tutorial:
To cancel your housing or to learn more about the cancellation process, go to University Housing in your Cal Poly Portal, then click on Housing Cancellations. 30- days' cancellation notice is required for all campus apartments and the Cal Poly Lofts. The $500 initial payment is not refundable.
Winter and Spring housing
Need to live on campus starting with the winter or spring quarter? Visit the Winter and Spring Housing webpage. If you are studying abroad or doing an internship, apply for the quarter you require housing.
Continuing Student Housing Options
Cerro Vista Apartments
The apartment community closest to the core of campus, Cerro Vista houses nearly 800 residents in six connecting buildings.
Apartment types: Four bedroom, four-person apartments
Poly Canyon Village
Nestled in the foothills of Poly Canyon, PCV houses over 2,500 residents in nine buildings and includes a central plaza with a market, café and post office.
Four-person, four-bedroom apartments
Five-person, five-bedroom apartments
Six-person, four-bedroom apartments with two shared rooms
A community in downtown San Luis Obispo for 35 sophomore, junior and senior-level students who have an entrepreneurial perspective.
Studios, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments
The Lofts have a separate 2020-21 application, which is now closed. Separate rates for the Lofts apply.